Friday, February 6, 2009

ON THE FLOOR...

Today I had a very interesting experience...one I am sure will never happen again. As one of only 30 newly 'crowned' National Board Teachers in Utah this year, I was invited to be presented on the floor of the Utah State Senate and House of Representatives. I didn't know what to expect...I kind of thought they would just let us walk through, announce what we had done, clap, and then maybe we would move to the next room.

It kind of worked like that, except I was surprised that they addressed each of us by name, one by one. They stopped the session to talk to us, give us nice certificates, and even a couple of standing ovations. More than I thought. It ended up being quite an honor.

My VERY favorite moment was looking for Lisa up in the gallery of the House of Representatives...and I couldn't find her anywhere. I kept looking up, until Representative Menlove came walking down the aisle. I followed her and found Lisa on the front row, in a chair pulled up to a desk. She had been invited to be a 'cousin' to our new friend from Tremonton (and great supporter of public education), Rhonda Menlove!! How fun, huh? I couldn't believe it! No pictures could be taken from her front row seat, though :)In the end, I left with some great memories of the experience. I met some new people and did something I have never done before. I felt like I was recognized for my hard work. It was a really good day!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Congrats!

Allyson said...

Cool stuff. I just got my Level 3 in the mail. Bawled. What was Lisa doing in that past picture? When are you going to e-mail me? Thanks again for the package. You are the best. I love my Highschool Musical 3 pencils the best.:)

Allyson said...

That post sounded depressing. I meant to say COOL STUFF! You guys are the coolest teachers ever! AND (in tiny print) I wish I was there too.:)

Safe to say?

bye.:)

Lisa said...

What a day...whether I was on the floor with my "cousin", or leaning over the balcony, it was a day that I will always remember. Thanks for sharing it with me.