Sunday, December 28, 2008

IT'S THE SPIRIT OF THE SEASON

I didn't really post in December. I regret that a little bit, but I was so busy having so much fun! I love this time of year...and just saying that is an understatement. I love the LIGHTS, the MUSIC, the SHOPPING, the SERVICE, the DECORATIONS, the FRIENDS, the FAMILY...the FEELINGS of love and happiness that are shared. I *WISH these feelings lasted all year long. But since it is sometimes difficult to keep the SPIRIT of the SEASON alive throughout the year, I want to take a second to share my favorite parts of this holiday season...then when I want to smile and feel all warm inside, I will come back to this post and relive my holiday memories.

December 2008 was a little like Summer 2008. Ya, it was that good. I should write a song or something, huh?! I just love that it was FILLED with things and people that made me happy. In no particular order, here are some of my favorites:

1. Decorating Christmas Trees: I collect ornaments from everywhere I go! I love being able to pull out my collection at Christmas time and decorate my tree. This year I was lucky to add ornaments from Mexico, Disneyland, and Washington D.C. (from Kristen). My tree is starting to look pretty FULL! But, I don't mind. I love reliving so many memories as I decorate.



2. Listening to Christmas Music: In a last minute attempt to attend the Tabernacle Choir concert this year, Lisa's sister Lindsey registered as many names as she could! We ended up with four tickets and spent a lovely evening listening to beautiful Christmas music in the Conference Center. (I don't know which is worse, these black eyes or the evil red ones that were there first...)

Another fun musical memory happens every year! My sisters, mom, Jodi, her sister, and I all take a day off work and attend one of the FM 100 Christmas concerts. This year we heard One Clear Voice and Hillary Weeks at the South Towne Mall. It was a good concert and we were lucky we had seats! Lots of other people took some time out of their busy schedules to enjoy the music as well.
3. Christmas Lights: You already know how much I love the lights on my house, but I also love going to Temple Square and looking at the lights. For the first time ever, I even got to ride in a carriage as we looked at the lights around town. Thanks Elvis...it was a *PERFECT evening!4. Christmas Eve: I think this is the best day of the year! We have such a fun family party on Christmas Eve...it is something I look forward to every year. In the past we have written Christmas plays, worn costumes, had talent shows, endured Survior challenges, hosted murder parties, and had Hawaiian luaus. This year, we hosted a "Food Network Challenge." We divided into teams, put on our chef hats, grabbed our name tags (I was Rachel Ray--YUMMO!) and competed for the championship medals. Our goal was to create cakes that represented a Christmas movie in some way. We had cake, frosting, candy, and only one hour to make it happen. I can't tell you how much fun it was. We laughed a lot. Here are some pictures of the event. Can you guess which movies the cakes represent?



This is the winning cake...nice shading, huh? Doesn't it look like Will Farrell?

5. Family: It was so good to go home and spend some time with my family this Christmas. This year was SO great because Mike is home for the first time in a couple of years AND we have Zac. Honestly, what was life like before this little guy came into our lives. I can't remember. All I know is he made me SMILE constantly this week. He is so happy and fun to play with. One of my favorite things to do with him is to walk around with him. He can't walk on his own yet, but he sure likes to pull you around the house. We ran together down the hall one night...over and over again! He was laughing like crazy. When I would stop, he would dance to try and get me to start again! I just loved spending so much time with my nephew!
I hope your holiday season was filled with just as much love and happiness...I'm off to St. George now to try and warm up (even just a little bit!)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Now that I have read your Christmas entry, I am feeling inspired to create mine. Thanks for sharing some of your Christmas spirit with me and my family! We love you Shell!

Megan Allen said...

haha I love Temple Square lights too! It was so good to see them again!! haha and your nephew's adorable!!

amy said...

Merry Christmas Michelle! I'm glad you had such a wonderful holiday season. Hopefully we can get together soon. Have fun in St. George, warm up a little for me too.

Lauren Alexis said...

I miss the holidays! I'm glad that I got to share some of your Christmas memories with you and had so much fun on Christmas Eve! Also glad that y'all have blogs, they're great! Hope to see you soon!